Sunday, July 27, 2014

Natural Makeup Remover - Castor Oil & Jojoba Oil



People with oily skin are afraid of oil. And the thought of putting more oil on our skin freaks us off. I know, cos I'm one of them. Even though I've heard of the benefits of using oil on our skin for a while, I never quite have the guts to try it.

I grew up with acne, and very oily skin, though facial therapist will say my skin is super dehydrated, which causes the oiliness since the skin think it's dry thus produce more oil to balance it. People with oily skin are always told to avoid oil, and having a greasy face means we tend to want to wash our face more, which agrevates the problem, since the already hunger-of-water skin gets even drier, hence, have to work harder to produce more oil.

I once hear from a friend that people with oily skin shouldn't blot their face with blotting paper since it will make the problem worse. I never used to understand that, since face blotting seems the only way to keep our skin looking oil-free;  facial tissue never seem to be able to quite do the job.

Recently, after spending quite a bit of time researching on natural living and to reduce toxics in our lives, I decide to give oil cleansing a try and made my own makeup remover oil. I'm so glad I did, cos it's one of the best discovery and experiment I've ever made. Not only does it remove makeup beautifully, it makes my skin less oily! YAY!

Oil is good for oily skin, as it helps to balance the oil sebum on our skin, so it actually prevents more oil from being produced. My DIY makeup remover is one of the best makeup remover I've ever used. It cleans really well with no residue. You know how some makeup still hangs around after you've removed them, especially like lipstick and eyeliners? I remember how I'll sometimes look like a panda with eyeliner streaks below my eyes even after removing my makeup, and it takes some effort to thoroughly remove them. I'm reminded of this again, after i had to use a commercial makeup-remover as I was travelling, and did not bring my oil along. Big Mistake, and it made me miss my DIY makeup remover so, so much.

The BEST SIDE EFFECT I got from making my own makeup remover is my already thick and long eye lashes, became even thicker and denser. This is because of the benefits of castor oil (I'm using NOW Castor Oil from here), one of the ingredients I used for my makeup remover. In fact. there's only 2 ingredients in my makeup remover: castor oil and jojoba oil.

Castor Oil is a must-use, as it cleans off makeup really well. But you can't use it on it's own as it's kinda dry (yes, it's drying despite being an oil), and it's not a easy-to-spread oil (if you know hokkien, it's kind of "siap"). So always mix castor oil with another carrier oil. I use jojoba oil (I'm using Aura Cacia, Organic, Skin Care Oil, Balancing Jojoba), but you can use coconut oil, almond oil or olive oil. Be open to experiment a bit, and see which works best for you. I've read in some places with people raving about coconut and olive oil, while others say it breaks them out, so do some trial and error, and I'm sure you'll find a combination that works for you.

Ingredients
Castor Oil
Carrier Oil (jojoba oil, or coconut oil, or almond oil, or olive oil)

For oily skin, use 70% castor oil, 30% carrier oil (if the mixture is too difficult to spread, add more carrier oil. My personal mixture is around 60% castor oil, 40% jojoba oil)

For normal skin, use 50% castor oil, 50% carrier oil

For dry skin, use 30% castor oil 70% carrier oil

Steps
1. Use a clean glass bottle (dark-coloured preferred), and pour in your mixture. Shake to mix the mixture well. If this is the first time you're doing, I'll suggest you manually pour the castor oil and carrier oil on your palms, so you can try the % mixture that works best for you instead of making 1 whole bottle and realized it's too drying/oily.

2.  If you have a dropper, use about 2 drops of oil (or pour a 20cents oil size amount of oil) on your palm, and spread it all over your face, including your eyes and lips. I usually take this opportunity to give my face a good "massage", and I love seeing all the makeup melting away

3. Wipe it off with a tissue

4. I'll usually follow up with a cleanser, then carry on with my moisturizer.






No comments:

Post a Comment