Thursday, March 6, 2014

Things to Save & Splurge on your Wedding

Recently, I've an interesting conversation with a friend who's preparing her wedding later this year, on what are the lessons I've learnt during my own wedding preps, and what will I suggest she save or splurge on. Do note the following are based on my own thoughts and from my perspective on what's important to me, so just use this as a guide ya?


Things to Save on Your Wedding
  1. Flowers Decoration. Use the flowers that the hotel/venue provides. Nobody really notice what are the flowers you're using in the dim lights, whether if they are imported or how they smell (unless they stink). Unless you're in the floral business or your guests are all floral fanatics, really, no one really cares as long as there's flowers. I've friends who have spent 5 digits on flowers and honestly, I feel it's a complete waste of money. Sure, it's nice, but surely the money can be put to better use? Unless you're loaded, then that's another story. I'm talking about normal average beings here.
  2. Wedding Favors. Again, I see too many people spending way too much time and money on this. How many of you actually remembered what wedding favour you received from a friend's wedding? And how many of the many wedding favours you've taken from all the weddings you've attended are still around? I've friends running all the way to Chatuchak to source for wedding favours, and painstakingly wrapped each and everyone of them. The thought and effort is priceless, but is it really worth it? You may want to re-consider on this, and weigh it's importance.
  3. Wedding Invites. There are so many design that the hotel provides that unless you're a creative person and have your own concept/thoughts on your invite (and have alot of time to plan and execute it), I'll strongly suggest you choose the design you love most out of the ready-made designs. and unless you're very free, avoid those that have lots of frails like ribbons, cuttings and whats-nots. there's plenty of must-dos for the wedding so avoid giving yourself unnecessary work unless you think it's really important, or you have an army of friends to help you. Honestly, how many of you spend an extra moment admiring or appreciating the ribbon your friend painstaking cut/tie/paste onto the invite you receive? How many of you still keeps the invite?
  4. Pre-Wedding Shoot This is subjective. I love my pre-wedding shoot. but if you're really short on budget, this is one of things I'll suggest you give it a miss. Plan time on your Actual Day to fit in a mini photoshoot instead. :)
  5. Wedding Songs (playing throughout the banquet unless you have live band). Some people are so particular about the songs being played during their wedding and spent hours and hours going through songs to find the ones they want. and this is not even for their march-in! Eh..personally, I really think it's not worth it. How many people actually payed attention to the songs being played during the banquet? March-ins yes, but the rest..eh...honestly, i don't think it's worth the time and money (to buy the songs on itunes or CD). I'll suggest just use the wedding tracks the hotel provides and if they don't, request from them and ask them to throw it into the package! Don't have to worry about copyrights and whatever. (sorry, I'm lazy)


Things to Splurge on Your Wedding

  1. Wedding Dress This is something that is definitely worth investing in. It is definitely worth every cent, and all the lace, cut and crystals bling will show. (maybe I'm bias, but  go compare the crystals on Sophia Wedding's gown and some other boutique's gowns. You will see the difference. Even if the cutting and design looks similar, the bling from the crystals will bring out the elegance of the gown). This is a once in a lifetime thing, and it's the first thing that everyone sees, and oohs and ahhs, and appears in almost all pictures so choose a boutique that carries your dream gown! Custom-made may not be necessary unless you have a flare for design. Custom-made may not even suit you eventually since it may not be something that fit your figure. So unless you have a clear picture of what you want and you have good chemistry with the designer, else I'll not encourage my friends to go for custom-made (save the fustration when the final product doesn't fit what you have in mind, and all the time and brain cells you've killed). Also, the materials used for custom-made gowns may not be as good as the ready-made ones (that's what my bridal boutique told me), unless you're willing to wait and pay alot more for the good materials. 
  2. Photographer Personally, I wish I've listened to my friends and invested more on a Photographer. My AD Photographer from Sophia is good, but somehow, I feel that something is missing and alot of "moments" were not captured. People have told me that it's worth paying for a good photographer since once the moment is gone & missed, it's gone. I'm not sure how things will turn out if I've paid more for a better photographer, but looking back, perhaps, I should heed this advice. Also, if you have the budget, get a second photographer to take behind-the-scene photos, candid photos of guests and everything else. The main photographer is usually so caught up with the couple that many details (like pictures of family and friends), are missed, or very few. Alternatively, since they are so many people into photography these days, tasked your friends and relatives to capture shots for you! I'm sure they will be glad to do so. :)
  3. Videographer I didn't get a videographer as I thought it's not necessary. but looking back, I wished I did. Again, it's probably worth investing in a good videographer that can capture all your precious moments.
  4. Photo Booth Initially, I thought this is a pure waste of money and totally unnecessary. I got a Photo Booth only because my mum seems so excited about it when she hear her friends talk about it and I know it's something my mum will love. So I decided to splurge and get a Photo Booth for her. Turns out it's one of the best investment I've made. All my guests had fun, everyone from young till old had so much fun playing and taking shots that makes me feel that it's all worth it. The company I engaged is a guestbook service, so on top of the usual Photo Booth stuffs, they make that at least 1 shot of each guest is in the guestbook, and ask the guests to write down their best-wishes, so there's something to keep and look at after the wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment