Friday, April 19, 2013

Wedding Banquet - The Search

Searching for the perfect wedding venue needs a lot of work. To make your search easier, it is good to have the following information ready:
  • Dates: Have a few dates as options if possible as some hotels may have already been booked long before, especially popular dates. Unless you do not mind getting any dates as long as you get to host your banquet in your dream venue
  • Estimated Number of Guests: This, to me, is as equally as important as the date. Having the numbers ready will give you an idea the kind of hotels/restaurants/ballrooms you can consider, or can leave out. Most hotels have a 10pax/table formula, and have a minimum and maximum tables allowed. This number helps to eliminate other options that does not fit your bill. No point going down to see the ballroom, fall in love with it, and realised your guest list is too small or big to fit the min./max. tables.
  • Budget: How much are you willing to pay per pax or per table? 
  • Type of Wedding: Outdoor? Grand Ballroom? Sea view? Garden Wedding? This will determine the hotels/venues to contact.
For me, after I have my dates and estimated number of guests, I started emailing hotels and restaurants that fit my minimum pax requirement, and has a cost I'm comfortable with. I'll tell them about the dates I'm looking at, as well as number of guests I'm expecting. I'm pretty open to lunch or dinner, but if you're inclined to either one only, it's good to mention this in your email too. I rather be up front and start eliminating those that are unavailable etc, rather than waste time on them then realised they do not fit the bill.

After the first email is sent, it's the time I start accessing the hotels/restaurants. Some are really responsive and reply within 1 day. Some can wait till 1 - 2 weeks to reply. Some, never reply. For those that took 1 - 2 weeks to reply, I'll usually give them a miss as to me, non-responsiveness is a big concern if I were to sign up with them. I certainly do not want to have to stress over my banquet coordinator going MIA or not replying when I probably have other things to stress about.

Usually, if the venue is available on the chosen date, they will invite you to go down to view the venue. This is where you will meet the coordinator. This is the time where you can see how comfortable you feel about the coordinator. Some coordinator makes you feel totally at ease, as if you can leave your wedding entirely to them and everything will be fantastic. Some makes you worried with their can't-be-bothered-attitude, and instead of them following-up with you, you have to chase after them for follow-ups.

Of course, most importantly is the venue. How do you feel about it? Some people must have pillarless ballrooms, some don't care. Some needs high ceiling, some needs a long march in. It is best you go having an idea what you want, else you'll be bombarded with so much information that will leave you confused.

Hope this is helpful in your planning. Have fun! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment